Thread: From Louisiana but I want to buy a car from different state.whats the process?

From Louisiana but I want to buy a car from different state.whats the process?

Since Louisiana is lacking on good used prices on the c5 corvette I'm forced to look elsewhere..so far Texas and Florida has some good deals private sellers and dealers..if I buy a car from there what's all paperwork is needed to get it transferred to Louisiana?
    Do I need a notarized bill of sale from seller?is that it?
    Thanks for all the helpful info

I can only speak from Texas, having lived there before I moved here and having bought a truck and drug it back over here to register.

In my case, I paid cash and had the title and bill of sale. That was all that was needed for a local notary to handle everything else. If you're financing, you won't have the title so I'm not sure at that point. Call whatever notary you're planning to use, and they should be able to give you pretty specific list of documents and procedures. If not the title, then I know for a fact you'll need the bill of sale, and more than likely the dealer you purchase it from or wherever you handle the sale in Texas will have to mail the title back to Louisiana to get it dealt with.

From memory, you can legally transport the vehicle without a plate back to Louisiana with the intention of registering it here so long as you have the bill of sale (possibly notarized?) and you'll have either 15 or 30 days to register. Again, a call to your notary of choice and they know the specific procedures and timeline backwards and forwards. Hope that helps a little.
    2007 Phantom Purple hatch; Spin on oil filter conversion, JBR rear motor mount/short shift plate/shifter bushings, stubby antenna, Eonon D5151 DVD/Nav HU w/backup camera, debadged and door guards removed, Lamin-X yellow fog overlays, TRS 5000K HID's, more coming.
    Daily Driver/Cruiser Build Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=461273

1996 Mazda Miata (totaled) - everything but FI, I miss this car.

^ Pretty much what he said. It really is effortless if, like he said, financing isn't involved. The only things extra I would add is make sure you get a copy of the seller's driver's license and witnesses. Some notaries ask for them, others don't. Best to have it just in case.

if it's at a dealership, they take care of all the paper work. and give you a temp plate. all you need is PROOF OF INSURANCE.

as far as a private seller, i'd get every info about him, and bill of sale and title in hand to make the deal.

if financing the vehicle you will likely pay tax in that state. when you come to la to register it you will only be allowed to claim a certain percentage of the tax paid. for example, you buy a car in TX and the tax is 10%, la will only give you a credit for 5%. the other 5% is still your tax liability even though you already paid it to TX. this goes for any taxed sale, private or dealer. that is an example. different states get different credits or no tax credit at all. you must have a notarized bill of sale, notarized title or title with lien. notarize everything that is signed.

No sales tax in Texas, which makes for one less thing to worry about. If you're purchasing a vehicle in a state with sales tax, put in a call to the dealer/notary you'll be using and inquire regarding how they handle it. Depending on the state, many will let you sign an affidavid that your intention is to register the car in another state and exempt you from local sales tax. Others will charge you sales tax, and you can apply for exemption up to a certain amount when you pay taxes in Louisiana (up to the LA sales tax limit I believe, in other words if Florida's sales tax is higher, you're out the difference but don't have to pay it twice.)
    2007 Phantom Purple hatch; Spin on oil filter conversion, JBR rear motor mount/short shift plate/shifter bushings, stubby antenna, Eonon D5151 DVD/Nav HU w/backup camera, debadged and door guards removed, Lamin-X yellow fog overlays, TRS 5000K HID's, more coming.
    Daily Driver/Cruiser Build Thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=461273

1996 Mazda Miata (totaled) - everything but FI, I miss this car.