Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY rim repair

DIY rim repair

For those who dont know me and my situation. I bought this car about a month ago and everything was flawless except for the rims. Everywhere I went I would be asked "damn. what did you do to these rims" haha well, answering that question got kind of lame and i decided I had to get these things looking decent till i ordered new rims in a few months. And i didnt want to be at the lake front meet answering that same question listed above.

THE DIY

Ease - 3/10
    Time - took me and a friend, first time for all this, abought 6 hours. If i had less damage, maybe about 4 hours, definitely worth it
    Cost - approx - $50.00

-Items needed.
    220 Grit Wet Sand Paper
    180 Grit Dry Sand Paper
    Bondo Filler and Hardening Cream
    Primer - 2 cans
    Paint - 2 cans
    Clear Coat - 2 cans
    Grinder for those really raised spots
    Bondo Scraper Molding tool
    Index Cards
    Tape

1- Use grinder to remove all raised spots

2-Use 220 Grit Wet Sand Paper to remove all clear coat and rough up the wheel for proper bondo and paint adhesion
    No pics
    3-Fill in all uneven sports with bondo, a little really goes a long way. Your bondo mixture should be a lite pink if you are using RED hardner

4-Use the 180 Grit Dry Sand Paper to make all bondo smoth. If you can feel or see ANY dips or unven spots, it will show up in the final product. Not good.

5- Stuff index cards in between tire and rim to avoid paint, primer, and clear getting over spray on tire. Than tape all note cards together, to make it easy to move them all at once to the next wheel. saves a lot of time and note cards. Also, tape of valve stem.
    Pics in last step.
    6- Spray a coat(s) of primer evenly and make sure to cover all areas. If any runs occur or any damage is seen, let the primer sit and sand and re primer till perfect. More bondo may be needed.
    no pics
    7. Spray a coat(s) or paint evenly and let dry to touch.
    no pics
    8. Spray a coat(s) or clear coat, this step will make removal of all road contaminates easy to remove.

9. Re Install and enjoy.

Please give me feedback. On process, product, and how my color scheme looks. I know people will either hate or love the white wheels. Many hate it, then a few hours later it grows on them. I had to paint these things because they look so bad and I knew I couldnt make them look any worse. If not white, what color should I go with??? black is not an option, and I want something clean n simple

ps. car will be dropped next weekend. hopefully that will make it look way better

UPDATE:4.5 months later:

Over all the wheels still look great. However there are couple chips near the lip from having new tires put on. Nothing has cracked due to road vibration. However, I plan on getting rid of the white only because of some stains in the clearcoat from lack of weekly maintenance.
    Last edited by AP2-4-La; 08-16-2011 at 12:54 PM.

good job....try to go back with silver, but with a base coat clear coat. might look good. i have always like how ap2 rims look in its original state.

looks good man

IMO it may be best to go with an aluminum filler over bondo (http://www.uschem.com/index.cfm?page...il&id=54&pid=1).

It does look good, I just have doubts about how it would hold up to high temps / aluminum vs. bondo expansion

does the paint get on the inside of the rim? do you tape off the inside as well, or just live with it?

I just live with it. It's only temporary. Anything is better than how it used to be.

Looks good for a quick fix until you get some other rims.

awesome, now help me fix this

Damn how'd that happen? Give me a sledgehammer and it'll be fixed in no time.

Damn, what did you do to those rims?