Thread: Is this 3 series a good buy?

Is this 3 series a good buy?

New to the BMW world coming from a S2000

I want to pick up this 3 series:

http://www.sportcarsllc.com/cars/new...-LA-70002.aspx

I was able to talk him down to $8500.00. Can you guys give me your input if this is a good pick up. I am only concern about the high milage and the problems they might bring with the car. I test drove it and everything seems to be in good working order. Car fax was good nothing serious.

link is not working for me
    95 325- supercharged 2.8l swap
    98 528- couch on wheels

It all comes down to how properly the car was maintained. Check the Carfax carefully for all services that has been done to the car. 8500 doesn't seem like a bad price for that car. It looks to be in good shape and 111k can be breaking in for a BMW. LOL!

Again, it all just depends on how well it was taken care of.. When you go to test drive it, DRIVE IT! Do not baby it around the block and come back. Take the car on the interstate and all around town, about a good 20-25 minute drive. Hammer down on it once or twice with the radio OFF and listen to the motor and car itself to see if you hear anything out of the ordinary.

Also, if the check engine light is on and the dealership cant give you a PRINTED READ OUT of what the code is DO NOT buy. Dont just take their word on what the problem is.

I test drove an M3 with a check engine light on and asked the owner why it was on and he said just a bad O2 sensor. So I agreed to come test drive the car and talk prices but what I didnt tell him what that during the test drive I was gonna take the car to Auto Zone and have the codes read. Man you shoulda seen his face when we pulled up in the parking lot at Auto Zone.

The code was a crankshaft position sensor or something like that. Needless to say I didnt get that car.

So take your time and be very very thorough.. 111k miles on a BMW is nothing to fear if it has been well maintained and cared for.

Good luck player!

Also, dont let the dealership feed you the bullshit line of the codes not being read right at an auto parts store because BMWs must use their own code readers to accurately diagnose the problem.

This is complete bullshit and an out right lie! Had it happen to me once.

personally i think its priced a bit high but if it has all the service records it might be justifiable. With solid maintenance these cars can go forever. My e36 has 276,00 miles, and still had the original motor up until about ~250,000 when 100 shot finally did it in after a few months of abuse.
    95 325- supercharged 2.8l swap
    98 528- couch on wheels

ill sell u my merk c32 for 15k. 71k miles and lots of mods. big brakes, headers, tune, and all kinds of shit.
    Officialy slow and low.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikev7 View Post
    ill sell u my merk c32 for 15k. 71k miles and lots of mods. big brakes, headers, tune, and all kinds of shit.
    Thats a nice car, the only thing is that I still owe on my car. Maybe we can work something out if you know how..