Thread: Engine rebuilding advice

Engine rebuilding advice

Given an old motor thats completely torn down, what cleaning, maching and replacing would you generally look to do?

I have a vw corrado g60, its got a 1.8l PG engine. I was originally gonna rebuild it with upgrades, then I was gonna do a swap (but the donor car situation fell thru), now its just been sitting there and I'm considering slowly putting it back together.

Also, are there any local shops that deal with vw's that I could look to for advice along the way? Any machine shop reccomendations?

Bring bare block. Crankshaft. And cylinder head to machine shop. Have crank checked to be on spec and micropolished. Block cleaned.cylinders honed. And deck checked for straightness. Head head checked for straightness. Valve job and valve stem seals replaced. It would also be a good idea to bring em your pistons and rods and have em reconditioned and checked out. Get new main\rod bearings. Piston rings. A complete engine gasket kit. Tube of assembly lube. All needed tools. Case of beer and a engine stand. I may have forgotten a few things which im sure someone will chime in but thats basically what you're looking at.

Last 2 engines i did i dealt with c&f machine shop in westwego. I good friends with the owners son so i got a lil hook up but he really does do excellent work.

no whining here
    That about sums it up
    09 cobalt ss. Treadstone 3inch downpipe, tr8 intercooler, piping, intake adn full exhaust, and trifecta tuned on 24 psi. stock motor and turbo... Waiting to get dynoed.

Ok, thats what I was expecting. I'm mostly looking for some good machine shops that do engine work. Any ideas on about how much I should expect to pay to get the engine inspected? I'm guessing price to fix it up varys depending on how good/bad the specs are off. I'm also looking to get the head p&p with oversized valves.

Harahan automotive. C&f automotive machine shop. Tps. Etc... theres a few good reputable machine shops around. Some are sponsors for this site and sni. For a basic engine rebuild you're looking at anywhere from 3-6 hundred bucks at the machine shop. If you want to port the head. Bore the block etc... the prices go up.

I'm pretty sure that g60 motor is more or less an 8v aba with the g-ladder blower. Before you spend all kinds of cash rebuilding the motor, look into this and maybe you can just get a used longblock. If you know the right people 8v's can be almost free. Moberley's in BR has lots of old dub stuff, and a small wrecking yard. VW's are like big kid legos. just be sure to change the little belt on the g-ladder!! lol.

you're definitely right about the lego part. I've been on the fence about this for a while....theres just something about restoring a car to is former glory thats making me wanna stick with the PG 8V G-ladder combo. Of course, I plan on hitting up BBM and TT for some upgrades along the way.

I'll definitely look up Moberley tho, I have a feeling this will be the 1st of many vw setups for me.

Quote Originally Posted by luthernil View Post
    That's certainly right. You need vw parts such as Bare block, crankshaft and cylinder will help. Don't forget that you'll be needing new engine rebuild kit.
    ^ Damn. Bots are getting pretty clever nowadays. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
    Bring bare block. Crankshaft. And cylinder head to machine shop. Have crank checked to be on spec and micropolished. Block cleaned.cylinders honed. And deck checked for straightness. Head head checked for straightness. Valve job and valve stem seals replaced. It would also be a good idea to bring em your pistons and rods and have em reconditioned and checked out. Get new main\rod bearings. Piston rings. A complete engine gasket kit. Tube of assembly lube. All needed tools. Case of beer and a engine stand. I may have forgotten a few things which im sure someone will chime in but thats basically what you're looking at.
    And, this.

and how much should i expect to pay for all that?