Thread: VW GTI Tuning

VW GTI Tuning

OK, I have a question with regards to tuning the MKVI GTI. Is a stage one tune really that noticeable like everyone states on the GTI forums? The reason I ask is because it seems to only shave a couple of tenths in the 0 to 60 and quarter mile. I made mods to another car that shaved 1/2 a second off the quarter mile time and I barely noticed it. Don't get me wrong, it felt a little quicker, but there was none of this "whole new car" feel nonsense. As a result, I'm thinking that a reflash on a FWD turbo 4 banger will be a total waste of money.

My latest thought is if the car isn't fast enough, I should just look into getting a faster car!

It's not about the time it shaves... The Stage I actually makes the car produce max torque in lower RPM and also has a much smoother power curve. It's a massive difference in the driving experience. But if you are really worried about time, to give you an example -- on my MK IV with APR 93 programming, 2.5" turbo back exhaust and AEM, The quarter mile went from 15.3 to 14.5 seconds. That's on the 1.8T engine with 180hp from factory. I can tell you for a fact that on a 2.0T engine, you will see a much nicer increase.

I have owned MK IV, V and currently a MK VI GTi, and I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. It is one of the funnest cars to drive, yet practical and stylish - and it is fairly quick on the road and also autocross track. Unless all you are worried about is drag racing - Then get you a nice RWD V8.

Thanks for the input. If I do anything, I'm seriously thinking of going intake, intercooler, K04, downpipe, and reflash. For some reason, I don't think the reflash alone will be enough for me.

That's a good combination there... I would do the K04 last though..

If you are not in a rush to buy this second, wait for MK VII coming out in a few months, they moved away from K03 and are using a slightly more powerful but lighter turbo. Also, they have cut down on the weight of engine and body- so lot more feature, more secure but 100lbs lighter.

VW will also be offering their own performance package with about 260lb/tq from factory on their 2.0T.. might be worth waiting for

Last edited by gunz4me; 12-10-2014 at 08:04 PM.

let us know if you need pricing on your performance parts and GIAC reflash. GL!
    EFI-101 Graduate 7-16-05 HALTECH & AEM EMS Factory Trained

Last edited by gunz4me; 12-10-2014 at 08:04 PM.