PDA

View Full Version : 240sx help?

foreveralone.jpg
03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
ok so i rebuilt my ka24de and its firing and its cranking and all but it wont completely turn over i dont thnk its getting fuel but i cant figure out how to get out the injectors i was wondering if maybe someone could tell me how and if anyone had encountered a problem like this before

Shane Kelly
03-06-2011, 06:25 PM
what do you mean completely turn over? is it just stoping, or is it spinning over and spuddering?

i would say, make sure everything is plugged in,

Do you have fuel pressure?
Can you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key?

foreveralone.jpg
03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
the fuel pump kicks on and the engine turns freely its just dosent start im positive everything is plugged in and i checked pressure and it was shooting gas fine

Shane Kelly
03-06-2011, 06:44 PM
so you have fire, you have fuel, bust still nothing, do you have compression on the cylinders? I would double check the timing and make sure you set it right on the rebuild..

foreveralone.jpg
03-06-2011, 06:54 PM
we did that the timeing right i was reading somethin in my haynes manuel and it said the vaulve covers are differant sizes under the cams and when i was re building it they had fallen out and i dunno if i had but them in right so i think that might be my problem

Antirice
03-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Did you hold it for a while? It takes a while for the fuel pressure to build up, and for everything to seat in before it will start up.

Spray some starting fluid before you turn it over, see if it'll stay running

foreveralone.jpg
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
did that it wont even start it cranks but dosnt start

Shane Kelly
03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
your talking about the bucket shims on the valve buckets? if you are, thats why its not firing, they ahve to be shimmed to s specific spec.. if they are mixed up, your valves are not opening or are staying open all the time.. it will never fire like that.

Get out the shimming tools , and be prepaired to tear it back down, u need to take the chain/belt off so the cam can come out to reshim the valve buckets..

if you need a mechanic to help you with it, i know a good one in houma..

foreveralone.jpg
03-06-2011, 07:10 PM
i know how to do it i just wanted to make sure if that was it or not

who u know i might know him

Shane Kelly
03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Craig Bienvenu off of North hollywood road, he is my father..

TibbyJosh
03-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Ok.... before you get all off track here, answer a few basic questions...

Whats recently been done to the engine, in the last few days? Have you done anything that would cause a no-start?

Do you have spark?

Whats the fuel pressure at the rail?

From what you're describing, it sounds like the distributor timing is out. I had the same problem a year or so ago on an S13. I removed the engine to replace a few things on it, and when I put it back together, my timing was out on the distributor, causing a no start.

So slow down a little, talk to me, and lets figure it out.

foreveralone.jpg
03-07-2011, 01:42 AM
ok i tore down the engine and fixed the headgasket there were alot of problems with wiring which most are fixed everything left involves the fans which i will fix soon i have spark and my distributer is in time checked both first thing i did as for the fuel rail im not a hundred percent sure when i pulled out a spark plug they were wet with what i think was gas when i turn the ignition to on i hear the fuel pump come on and i know i have pressure because i checked it before i put the line back on so i have pressure when i turn the key to the start position to turn it over it trys to turn over but it wont turn completely over its like its just turning freely and when i red in the book there was one thing that caught my eye and that was the vaulve sleeves they had fallen out about halfway threw the tear down and i wasnt sure if there was an order to them and fit them in over the vaulves so im guessing that is my problem but i you have any advice its much aprciated

and i think my dad knows craig

turbonola
03-07-2011, 03:07 AM
listen to josh because he's tellin you exactly what i'd tell you. timing is off a tooth maybe, the shims dont matter. all imporperly shimmed ka's do is make a ton of valvetrain noise. they do eventually cause valvetrain failure but not right away. getting them re-shimmed is a good idea but to say its causing your no start is very very incorrect. you make think timing is right but its very easy to get the chain off by a tooth and think its correct.

fn_quick
03-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I still want to know if you have spark.

TibbyJosh
03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
He's out of timing. This is a classic KA ordeal. He may be on by the timing chain, but if the distributor is out, it won't fire.

FOLLOW THIS GUIDE.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-fix-your-timing-chain-rattle-t105618.html

Pay close attention to setting distributor timing. I'm willing to bet you did not mark it, and tore the engine down when not at TDC.
Last KA I did, I swore to god my distributor was right.... it was not. Regardless of if you have spark or not. Mine had spark, albeit weak.

If this fails you, theres a few other things you'll need to check, but check, double check, and triple check the chain and distributor timing.

fn_quick
03-07-2011, 10:35 AM
^+1

foreveralone.jpg
03-07-2011, 01:47 PM
yea for the fifth time i have spark and thanks for the advice guys ima go check

fn_quick
03-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Please show me where you said that 5 times lol, I see it once and my apologies for attempting to help. If you end up getting stuck with a shell Ill buy it, I need something for my ls1 swap.

foreveralone.jpg
03-08-2011, 02:33 AM
ok i said it technically two times sorry